Who is Gary Stal?
In a top five patrolled by Martin Kaymer and Rory McIlroy, little attention was paid to France’s Gary Stal at Abu Dhabi until the 22-year-old Frenchman posted a 65 to win the tournament by a stroke over McIlroy and two over the fading Kaymer.
Here’s a look inside the life of Sunday’s surprising success story.
- He hails from Decines, France, a city of 24,000 known mainly for producing football players.
- He joined the Challenge Tour in 2012, and won his first pro event – the Karnten Golf Open, which is held in Godersdorf, Austria.
- He earned his card for the European Tour by winning the Credit Suisse Challenge in a playoff in July 2012, but had to go through qualifying school again the next year.
- In his European Tour debut, he finished tied for 85th and missed the cut at the Alfred Dunhill Championship in December.
- He finished tied for fifth at the South African Open Championship last week, winning €28,666.
- He increased those winnings by 1,325%, winning €379,798 on Sunday with his victory.